Yea…I realize that it’s freezing outside, but when I have a craving for something…then I have to have it. I wanted a fresh, cool, sweet yet spicy burst of summer despite it being “ugg season”…
This is delicious.
It’s a very basic fruit salsa recipe that you can alter to make your own. You can add additional fruits if you want, different peppers, beans — anything you want. Make sure you use a red onion though, don’t use any other kind because it won’t taste right. Fruit salsas are excellent over savory meats such as chicken or steak, but they’re even better on seafood. This baby here provides you with freshness, brightness, sweetness and heat. I used 2 very tiny serrano peppers for this recipe, and I left some of the seeds from one in and removed the rest. I wanted a balanced heat, one that would compliment the natural sweetness of the fruit.
I didn’t see any whole pineapple’s at Wegmans today, but they did have these cupsize “to go” packets of fresh pineapple and mango bites, so I used one of each of those, plus one can of pineapple tidbits soaking in 100% pineapple juice. I didn’t wanna get the one sitting in syrup because that would’ve been entirely too sweet. So if you decide to make this, and there’s no fresh pineapple around — go with the canned stuff that’s sitting in juice, not syrup.
1 cup pineapple chunks — I later chopped this into bite-sized pieces
1 20 oz. can of pineapple tidbits, drained
1 cup mango chunks — I later chopped this into bite-sized pieces
chopped red onion
1 half of a serrano pepper — I later added the whole pepper
zested and juiced lime
everybody in the pool
sweet, spicy, juicy, and delicious
copyright 2012 CarnalDish.com
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup fresh mango, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 20 oz. can pineapple tidbits or chunks, in 100% juice, drained
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro (add more if desired)
- ⅓ cup diced red onion (add more if desired)
- 1 serrano or jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (leave seeds in for more heat)
- Juice and zest from 1 lime
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix everything and taste. Adjust seasoning and/or ingredients to suit your needs. Serve immediately, or cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until ready to eat.