I love seafood. I could legit live off seafood *record scratch* — actually, throw in some turf (steak) and maybe that’ll be a reality. I love my cow, but we’ll get into that later. Anyway, yea…seafood is my boo. I also love sandwiches. Big and small, wide and tall, I love’em all. Almost anything between two slices of bread is probably gonna put you two steps closer to God, but this sandwich might get you there a little faster. I cried a salty tear of bliss as I ate this sandwich in the fetal position of my living room. Don’t judge me.
This delicious sandwich starts with a slice of toasted perfection, basted with a garlic infused herb oil, then followed by a thin layer of spicy lemon-caper mayo, arugula, bacon, juicy tender salmon, sweet roma tomato slices, crispy onion rings, another thin layer of spicy lemon-caper mayo, and the final slice of toasted bliss. Add that all up and you have sex on a plate. But the only protection you’ll need is a bib.
If you’re absolutely not about that salmon life, you can use an entirely different piece of fish. You don’t have to do everything I tell you to 😉 I’ve done this kind of sandwich with tilapia, cod, haddock, catfish…the possibilities are endless. This would even be great with tuna. You could leave out the bacon but that would make you a terrorist. I’m kidding…sorta…
Cook your salmon, fry your bacon, and assemble this beautiful thing…now!Print
- 1 filet of salmon
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 to 3 slices of bacon, cooked til crisp
- 1 bunch of fresh arugula, washed and patted dry
- several slices of tomato
- Spicy Lemon-Caper Mayo (recipe below)
- Onion Rings (recipe below)
- 2 slices of your favorite bread, toasted
- Heat your broiler.
- Drizzle the olive oil and season your salmon on both sides with salt and pepper, and any other seasonings your little heart desires.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and broil your salmon on the middle rack of the oven for 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove from oven and assemble your sandwich.
- Soak the onion rings in the buttermilk overnight.
- Mix the corn meal, flour, dried herbs, and seasoning together until combined.
- Coat each ring just once and set to the side. Repeat with each ring until all are coated.
- Fry in 375 degree oil until golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Sprinkle with a tiny bit of salt as soon as they come out of the fryer and serve on and alongside your salmon BLT.
- ½ cup good mayo (Hellman’s is my mayo of choice)
- 1 tbsp capers, drained and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped finely
- juice from half a lemon
- 1 tsp chili paste (or hot sauce such as Sriracha)
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- dash of salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients and chill overnight or at least for an hour.
- Spread on your salmon BLT and also use a dipping sauce for any extra onion rings you have have left over.
*I toasted my bread after brushing one side of each slice with a little Basting Oil from Wegmans. If you don’t have this, you can make a really yummy bootleg version using: olive oil, garlic powder, dried thyme and dried parsley.