This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MarinadesWithMazola #MakeItWithHeart #CollectiveBias
Once again, it’s time to break out your grill and try these delicious mojo steak tacos. I’m partnering with Mazola® Corn Oil to bring you this super easy heart-healthy marinade that can be used on chicken, beef, even veggies — but this time we’re using juicy flank steak. Mazola Corn Oil is the best kind of oil to use for marinades because it is neutral in flavor and has a high smoke point! A clinical study showed Mazola Corn Oil reduces cholesterol 2x more than extra virgin olive oil. To learn more about this claim, see Mazola.com.
Text MAZOLA to 79495 between 6/20/19 – 9/26/19 to receive $1.00 back on your purchase of Mazola 40oz Corn Oil! Limit 1 rebate per household. PayPal account required. By texting, you expressly consent to receive multiple automated text messages on this offer. Consent not required as a condition of purchase. Message & data rates apply. Text HELP or STOP to 79495 at any time. Full terms: http://cbi.as/a38tw.
These low carb tacos are perfect for your backyard summer party. Lighting up the grill means your food needs to be able to withstand extreme heat temperatures, and Mazola Corn Oil has a very high smoke point — which means your marinade will not become bitter in taste. Mazola Corn Oil is an all-purpose, cholesterol-free cooking oil that is a smart heart-healthy* choice for your family. *See Mazola.com for more information on the relationship between corn oil and heart health. It has a variety of uses include baking, grilling, sautéing, stir-frying, or mixing up a marinade or dressing.
There is a very, very slight cheat going on here with the orange juice. Oranges have a lot of natural sugar, but because the amount that will cling to the steak is so little, it’s not much to worry about. The use of Mazola Corn Oil in this recipe allows the meat to stay supple and lusciously moist, without disturbing all of the yummy flavors we have going on. Check out the step-by-step process below.
How to Make Grilled Mojo Steak Tacos
Keep it light!
To keep this recipe on the lighter side, we’re swapping out carb-heavy flour and corn tortillas for lower carb tortillas. We’re also using heart-healthy Mazola Corn Oil instead of overly-processed vegetable or canola oils for the marinade and grilling process. Also, instead of a super heavy sour cream-based drizzle, we’re simply using greek yogurt that’s been thinned out with lime juice as our “crema.” Flank steak is great for this recipe because it’s lean but doesn’t lack flavor or juiciness at all. It’s amazing when thrown on a hot grill, cooking in mere minutes and bursting with meaty flavor. As much as I love fattier cuts of beef, this particular cut is best suited for this recipe.
Marinade adapted from ATK.
- 2 pounds flank or skirt steak
- 3/4 cup low-sugar orange juice
- Zest from an orange
- 1/4 cup lime juice, divided
- Zest from a lime
- 3 tablespoons Mazola Corn Oil
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon jalapeños, finely minced (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Low carb tortillas
- Onions, chopped
- Crema (or greek yogurt thinned out with lime juice)
- Hot Sauce
- In a shallow baking dish, combine 1 tablespoon of the Mazola Corn Oil, orange juice, soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of lime juice, cumin, Mexican oregano, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, garlic, jalapeños, and red pepper flakes, mixing well. Add the steaks to the marinade, flipping to coat both sides. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour. Make sure you flip the steaks after 30 minutes.
- Prepare your charcoal grill by banking the lit coals on one side of the grill to create a hot zone, and a cooler zone on the opposite side. Cover the grill so it can get hot.
- Meanwhile, remove the steaks from the marinade and transfer the marinade to a small pot. Bring the marinade to a boil over high heat for 2 minutes to kill any bacteria. Remove from heat, then add both the lime and orange zest, 2 tablespoons lime juice, and half of the Mazola Corn Oil.
- Pat the steaks dry with paper towels and rub the steaks evenly with the remaining Mazola Corn Oil.
- Cook the steaks on the hot side of the grill until caramelized, about 2-4 minutes per side depending on the thickness of your steak. Move them to the cooler side of the grill and check the internal temperature. It should register around 130-135 degrees for medium. Remove the steaks from the grill when they are at proper temperature and cover them with aluminum foil. Allow them to rest for about 10-15 minutes. Cut the steaks on a bias against the grain into thin slices. Assemble your tacos, drizzling each one with a little of the reduced sauce. Top with white onion, cilantro, and fresh limes and enjoy.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Category: Tacos, Grilling
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Mexican