This is a quick recipe that you should keep on hand for those days you want buttery, buttermilk pancakes — but don’t have real buttermilk. Oh noes!! Don’t worry, adding a little acid to whole milk will pretty much give you the same result. I love my pancakes all kinds of ways, fluffy diner-style, griddle-style with the crispy-buttery edges, you name it, I’ll eat it. These particular pancakes are for those of you who’ve asked me over and over “Resha, how on earth do you get the crispy buttery edges??” Well, here you go. This is my method and it never fails.
When you add the vinegar to the milk, it will start to curdle almost immediately. Let it do it’s thing for 5-10 minutes before using. The pancake batter should be free of super large lumps, but smaller ones should still remain — they will cook out. Allowing the batter to rest 10-20 minutes will allow the flour to fully hydrate. This batter can be made a day ahead, but don’t let it sit in your fridge longer than 24 hours. Please use real butter for this recipe, if it’s in a tub, it’s probably not real butter. As a matter of fact, if it doesn’t SAY butter (salted, or unsalted) on the label, it’s definitely not real butter. The only time you should ever use fake butter is if you’re trying to watch your cholesterol or your doctor told you to do so, otherwise, don’t cheat yourself of fantastic flavor and results.
A few things:
- Use just 1 tablespoon of vinegar per cup of milk. I made an error on the video, so ignore that.
- You can use milk for this recipe without the vinegar — they’re still delicious
- You can use real buttermilk (without the vinegar of course) — they’re even better
- You can use a different acid, such as lemon juice, in place of the vinegar added to your milk — they’re still bomb
- This recipe is extremely basic and flexible. Try adding different extracts, spices, citrus zests, and more.
How to make buttermilk pancakes without real buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup whole milk + 1 tbsp white distilled vinegar (SEE NOTE BELOW)
- 1 1/2 tbsp melted real butter, cooled
- 1/2 tsp real vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon (optional)
- Butter & real maple syrup for topping
- **Please see video for cooking instructions.
If you don’t have white distilled vinegar, you can use real lemon juice in it’s place.
1 cup of real buttermilk can be used instead of whole milk- minus the vinegar. The vinegar can be omitted entirely too, the pancakes will still come out delicious. Real buttermilk will also give the pancakes a puffier finish.
If you don’t have an electric griddle or just don’t want to use one, you can cook your pancakes in a non-stick skillet or griddle-pan over medium-low heat.
Recipe can be doubled, except for the egg. You’ll still use just one egg if you double the other ingredients.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 6 mins