A super fast, delicious way to bring asparagus to your dinner table.
- 1 bunch of asparagus, woody ends removed (see note below)
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of red pepper flake
- pinch of granulated garlic
- pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- pinch of black pepper
- Trim off the woody ends of your asparagus (usually the last 2 inches). Place asparagus in a microwave-safe bowl with 1 tbsp water, and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Punch a tiny hole in the center of the plastic wrap to allow the steam to vent. Microwave on high for about 3 to 4 minutes. Carefully remove the plastic wrap, allowing the steam to ventilate away from you so that you don’t get burned. Drain the asparagus and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add asparagus and seasonings, and cook until edges of asparagus begin to caramelize just slightly, about 3 to 4 minutes. Taste, and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve and enjoy
This method works best with thicker spears of asparagus. If your asparagus is on the thin side (like a pencil), steam them in the microwave for just 2 minutes vs. 4, and cook over the stove for just 2 minutes, instead of 4.