- 1 Smithfield Applewood Smoked Bacon Marinated Fresh Pork Loin Filet, cut into slices
- 8 slices artisan bread
- 1 cup prepared basil pesto
- 4 large roasted red peppers, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 – 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups Jarlsberg swiss cheese, grated by hand
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 – 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place the pork loin filet slices horizontally in the middle of the pan, and roast uncovered until the internal temperature of the pork reaches 145 degrees F. Remove from oven and tent with foil to rest a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the minced roasted red peppers, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, and sea salt in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir frequently to prevent scorching. When the balsamic vinegar has nearly evaporated and the sugar is completely dissolved, give it a taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Mixture should be slightly darkened, thickened a bit, sweet and spicy. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Slather a desired amount of prepared basil pesto on one side of four slices of the bread, and the roasted red pepper jam on the remaining flour slices. Sprinkle all 8 slices of bread with a generous amount of Jarlsberg cheese. Layer the pork slices on top of four slices of the bread. Close the sandwich with the remaining four slices.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat until sizzling. Place two sandwiches down at a time, and press with a heavy cast iron panini press. Alternately, you could use an actual panini press if you have one. When the sandwiches are golden brown on each side and the cheese is melted, remove from the skillet and serve. Repeat with remaining two sandwiches.
Keywords: pork loin, smithfield pork, virginia pork council