Intensely flavored homemade cranberry sauce studded with honey crisp apples, made with pure maple syrup and apple cider. Say no to canned.
- 1 12oz. bag of cranberries, washed
- 1 cup honeycrisp apple, diced (granny smith works too)
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup grade-A maple syrup
- 1 cinnamon stick, optional
- 1 star anise, optional
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp orange marmalade (optional)
- tiny pinch of cayenne
- pinch of kosher salt
- Zest from an orange or tangerine
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium/medium-low to simmer for about 10-12 minutes or until all the of berries have collapsed and the apples are tender but not mushy.
- Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool and thicken for about 30 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon stick and star anise, if using.
- Taste and adjust seasoning/sweetness as needed.
- Serve at room temperature.
Feel free to adjust the sweetness to your desired level. It’s okay to leave out certain spices if you don’t have them.
Keywords: homemade cranberry sauce