Super easy, kid-friendly snacking cake made ultra rich with Duke’s mayo! Yes, mayo. Trust me. I haven’t steered you wrong yet. Adapted from The Complete Cookbook for Young Chefs.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup Duke’s Mayonnaise
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray inside bottom and sides of 8-inch square metal baking pan or 10-inch cast iron skillet with vegetable oil spray. Line bottom of baking pan or skillet with parchment paper. In medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. In large bowl, combine cocoa and chocolate chips.
- Heat water in liquid measuring cup in microwave until hot and steaming, 1 to 2 minutes. Carefully pour water over chocolate mixture and whisk until smooth. Let mixture cool for 10 minutes.
- Add mayonnaise, egg, and vanilla to cooled chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Add flour mixture and use rubber spatula to stir until just combined and no dry flour remains. Use rubber spatula to scrape batter into parchment-lined baking pan and smooth top (make sure to spread batter into corners to create even layer).
- Place baking pan in oven. Bake until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 34 to 38 minutes. Place baking pan on cooling rack and let cake cool completely in pan, about 2 hours.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: snacking cake, chocolate snacking cake, chocolate cake, kid-friendly desserts