adapted from Food Republic
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa Powder)
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp red food coloring
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
For the glaze:
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 to 3 tbsp confectioners sugar
- 2 to 3 tbsp heavy cream (or milk)
- Powdered sugar
- Chocolate chips
- Toasted pecans
To make the glaze:
- Mix the cream cheese and maple syrup together until smooth, then add the confectioners sugar. Continue to mix until smooth. Add the heavy cream (or milk) and mix until smooth and creamy. You may need to add more or less of each ingredient to reach your desired consistency and sweetness.
For the pancakes:
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and cocoa powder in a large bowl.
- In another large bowl, beat egg with buttermilk, sour cream, food coloring and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in the flour mixture, adding melted butter in gradually as well, until all lumps are out.
- Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat, then drop in batter 1/4 cup at a time to form pancakes.
- Flip when bottoms are set and bubbles are forming on top and cook until firm and fluffy all the way through.
- Drizzle your maple cream cheese glaze on top with a little butter, and garnishes if you decide to use them, and enjoy!