copyright 2012 CarnalDish.com
- 4 to 6 thick slices of challah bread, dried out in a 300 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes
- 1 cup half & half
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup bourbon
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 to 2 tbsp of butter for frying, plus more topping
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a shallow dish, whisk the half & half, egg yolks, sugar, bourbon, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and vanilla bean scrapings until well combined and sugar is dissolved.
- Slowly heat 1 to 2 tbsp of butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, soak each slice of bread in the mixture for about 15 to 20 seconds per side. Lift each slice out of the mixture with a spatula and transfer to the skillet and let each piece cook for about 3 minutes per side.
- Line a baking dish with foil and arrange each cooked slice in a single layer.
- Place into the oven on the middle rack, and let bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately with butter and raspberry maple syrup.