Inspired by The Cheesecake Factory
For the crab wontons:
- 8oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 8oz. jumbo lump crab, picked over for shells
- 1 tbsp garlic chili paste (sambal oelek)
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 4oz water chestnuts, drained and finely minced
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup shallots, finely diced
- 1oz mozzarella, shredded
- 1oz fontina, shredded
- 3 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- Square wonton wrappers, plus water for moistening
- Oil for frying (vegetable or canola)
Dipping sauce (estimated measurements):
- 2 – 3 tbsp garlic chili paste
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp ponzu or low-soldium soy sauce (or salt)
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
For the dipping sauce:
- Combine all ingredients together, tasting and adjusting as you go until you’re satisfied. Set aside until ready to use. Can be made a day ahead.
For the wontons:
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour for flavors to develop. Can be made a day ahead.
- When ready to fry, place 1 teaspoon of the crab mixture in the middle of a moistened wonton wrapper, and pinch all four corners together until you have little “purses”, pressing out any excess air. Keep wontons covered with damp paper towel so they do not dry out as you work.
- Heat oil to 365 degrees
- Fry a few wontons at a time, using a strainer or heat-proof tool to push the wontons around so they don’t stick to each other and that they fry evenly, about 1-2 minutes.
- Drain on baking rack lined over a baking sheet, or paper towels.
- Cool for 5 minutes before eating.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins