ERMAHGERD! We’re only a few days into Summer, officially…and I already hate it. Y’all, it’s unbearably hot outside. As soon as I open my front door, I am attacked by the hot sweaty steam of Satan’s scrotes. It aint fun! This heat makes my soul so weary. I can’t even enjoy normal activities because it’s just so damn hot outside. My car read 109 degrees yesterday and I basically cried — are we being punished?? Anyway, as long as I have these delicious lil boozed up cupcakes to cool me off, I won’t complain too much…for now lol.
I got this recipe from the Brown Eyed Baker. I’ve tried many of her cupcake recipes and have loved them all. I usually alter up her recipes to better suit my personal needs, but I basically did this one by the book and it’s perfect. That first bite, you’re immediately hit with the back-of-the-throat warmth from the tequila, then you taste the sweet citrus tang of the lime, topped off with cool creamy boozy frosting. Oh, and in typical margarita fashion, there’s a nice tiny sprinkling of sea salt on top. You also brush some tequila on the cupcake so it soaks in quite nicely. Man, oh man…these cupcakes are like having a drink and dessert at the same damn time. So good!
Beat the butter for 5 minutes until it’s fluffy like so.
Toss in the zest, tequila, extract, etc.
Scoop’em into cupcake holders.
This is how mine looked prior to being baked. They’ll even themselves out, don’t worry…
Super fluffy, moist, DELICIOUS!
Make these little morsels of boozy heaven, kick back and cool off in the a/c
from Brown Eyed Baker
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- Zest and juice of 1½ limes
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons tequila
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2¾ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- Pinch of coarse salt
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
3. In an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the butter and sugar together until pale, light, and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
4. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and add the eggs one at at time, mixing thoroughly after each addition.
5. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the lime zest, lime juice, vanilla extract and tequila. Mix until combined. (The mixture may start to look curdled at this point, but don’t worry, it will all come back together, power on!)
6. Reduce the mixer speed low. Add the dry ingredients in three batches, alternating with the buttermilk in two batches. Mix only until just incorporated, using a rubber spatula to give it one last mix by hand.
7. Divide the batter between the muffin cups. Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until just slightly golden and a skewer shows only moist crumbs attached, rotating the pan at the halfway point.
8. Allow cupcakes to cool for 5 to 10 minutes, and then remove to a cooling rack. Brush the tops of the cupcakes with the 1 to 2 tablespoons of tequila. Set the cupcakes aside to cool completely before frosting them.
9. To make the frosting, whip the butter on medium-high speed of an electric mixer using the whisk attachment for 5 minutes. Reduce the speed to medium-low, and gradually add the powdered sugar, mixing and scraping the sides of the bowl until all is incorporated. Give it a mix on medium speed for about 30 seconds. Add the lime juice, tequila and salt mix on medium-high speed until incorporated and fluffy. If the frosting appears a bit too soft, add some additional sugar, one spoonful at a time until desired consistency is reached. Frost cupcakes and garnish, if desired, with lime zest, an additional sprinkling of salt and a lime wedge.